Monday, April 23, 2007

There is only one first time

Well, it was a long time coming, but I was finally able to exhort for the first time at my church last night! Why was it a long time coming? That is a long story, but it is just how the time-frames worked out. The important thing is that I was in the pulpit and brought God Word's to his people for the first time.

Was I nervous? You bet! But it was more a nervousness of humility and reverence that God would choose to use this weak and broken vessel to proclaim his Word. I was also very humbled that many of my friends made it a point to come down to watch and encourage me. That meant a lot, more than I can express. It was also great to have my wife and my mother sitting in the congregation, and yes, I actually did look at them and they at me!

If you would have told me five years ago that I would be exhorting in a pulpit I would have looked at you funny! It is amazing how God works. In a way it was bitter-sweet that I was not able to share this moment with my father. He would be having so much fun with me going to Westminster and would have been a great encouragement to me as I train for the ministry. But the Lord in his great wisdom called him home, but I am still left with an unbelievable mother who has also been such a great encouragement to me the past two years of seminary.

Just some other comments you might be wondering - what is exhorting? In order to protect the office of Minister of the Word and the high calling of preaching, the Reformed normally call an unordained man bringing the Word of God as an exhortation. I have been "licensed" to lead worship and exhort by my Consistory, which means I had to submit some sermons, and undergo an oral examination (45 minutes). Therefore, I can lead worship and exhort at all URC churches, but also at any church where their Consistory recognizes my "credentials".

What was my text? I exhorted on Galatians 1:1-10 and talked about how there is one approved message, there are approved messengers, and finally an ultimate approval from God alone.

I guess that is about it. If you are really interested the audio should be available from our church's website soon and I will post that link here when that happens.

Soli Deo Gloria

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Tracy Lee V said...

It's funny that you use the word "exhorting" instead of preaching. It sounds so much more official. Guess you learn those big words in them fancy God-schools! :)

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home