Monday, August 20, 2007

Open or Closed Mind?

Michelle and I were driving behind a car the other day that had a bumper sticker that read something like, “I wish those with closed minds would also have closed mouths.” I told Michelle that this shows that this driver is actually the one with the closed mind. The reason being is that this person doesn’t even allow those who disagree with him to speak about it – how “open is that?!” If one were to truly have an “open mind” then they would be willing to allow for the open sharing and discussion of ideas. What gives this person the right to speak, but to forbid that opportunity to others of a contrary persuasion?

Having an opinion about something and holding to that opinion strongly does not mean that you have a “closed mind”. It just means that your mind is made up, after you have weighed all the other options and chose the one that you feel is the correct one. You are then more than willing to share that opinion with others and defend it against their attacks. However, by doing so you must be willing to then change your opinion if the other argument is more sound that your own. If that is the case then you really can say that you have an “open mind.”

Now you can say that you have a “closed mind” when you have a strong opinion, but are unwilling to put that opinion to the test and to allow for others to put you on the defensive and to test the strength of your view.

I have been accused of having a “closed mind” in the past, and I will most likely continue to be told that because of my “conservative views” on many things. However, as I have argued above, that statement is a misnomer since I try my hardest to listen to the other side, defend and examine my own judgments, and am willing to change if my stance is shown to be untenable. It is my experience though that many times those that accuse others of having a “closed mind” are only doing so because they themselves are unsure of their position and are unwilling to put it to the test, and try to end the conversation by claiming, “You just have a closed mind.” When what they are really saying is, “I don’t believe you and am unwilling to open my mind to listen to what you have to say. Therefore, I want this conversation to end.”

There is something of a reason behind this post. Mainly it is due to that bumper sticker which I have been thinking about recently, but there is also another reason which I might post about in the future. But I just wanted to know your thoughts about being open and closed minded, and if the latter is really just a way to end a conversation before it really starts and where they might be shown to be the real “closed minded” person.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, you come by your strongly opinionated personality honestly. I have been accused of having such as well! So is there ever a totally open-minded person? I think not. Seems to me the person with the bumper sticker has a closed mind on people with "closed minds"... Somehow standing firm on issues that you are passionate about comes across as being something other than being commited. It's not fair; but we know that life isn't fair...

9:02 PM  
Blogger Tracy Lee V said...

Good post. But I would also like to contribute the thought that just because someone doesn't agree with you, and they won't agree with you no matter how long you argue with them, does not make them wrong and you right. It sounds in your blog like you want to argue with people to the death, or at least until they agree with you because you are right, or you will call them close-minded and that's not necessarily the case. It's not really related to people being open-minded or close-minded, but I guess I see people as close-minded who want me to believe just like them because they believe they are right. I'll listen to your (the hypothetical you, not you Mark) points, but that doesn't mean that I'll agree with them. I'm open to agreeing with them, if they make more sense than mine. But if I leave you still disagreeing, does that make me wrong? Or close-minded? Just curious. :) For the record, I like you and your strong personality. :) Just try not to argue with me. :)

2:59 PM  
Blogger Mark Vander Pol said...

Hey Tracy –

Thanks for the comments! First of all I need to comment that yes, when I am “arguing” (that is a such a harsh term – how about “discussing”) I do so believing that I am right. If I didn’t then what is the point? Discussing for discussion’s sake? That might be a useful exercise on a debate team, but not when discussing manners of things like Theology (which is really what is underlying my comments above). I am a Confessional Reformed Christian – I do believe that there are wrong and right interpretations of Scripture, and it so happens that I believe that my Creeds (Apostle’s, Nicene, and Athanasian plus the Def. of Chalcedon) and Confessions (Three Forms of Unity) are accurate representations of the teaching of Scripture in those matters to which they apply themselves.

The problem with our Postmodern age is that this idea that there is an actual objective Truth out there is not shared by many – even among Christians. There has to be one Truth concerning the gospel; if not, then all of Theology falls apart. In that regards then I guess I can be considered “closed-minded” to some as my mind is made up, but yet I am more than willing to put my beliefs on the line and discuss – which as my argument above states, makes me actually “open-minded.”

On the flip side, if something is “right” then there must be a “wrong.” If I am discussing with somebody an issue that I believe I am in the right, then I must obviously feel that they are in the wrong, otherwise I wouldn’t try to be “winning them to my side.” Sure, that person can leave the discussion disagreeing with me, and I am fine with that as long as they leave having given a good cogent argument (that they feel is right). But just leaving the conversation by calling me “closed-minded” without actually engaging the conversation proves who actually is the one that is “closed-minded.”

Remember, in my comments above – I did not call somebody “closed-minded” because they disagreed with me. I only did so if and when they are unwilling to actually open up their mind to think/talk/discuss about it! Therefore, if you leave a good discussion with me, I might think you are wrong, but I will not call you “closed-minded” because you actually engaged me.

Finally, there are things that I am willing to fight to the death for, because I feel they deserve it. The Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ is one such issue – and this is under increasing and fervent attack today. This is most definitely something to fight tooth and nail for because people’s eternities are at stake! But there are those things I might feel strongly about, but am unwilling to “fight to the death” about because they are not connected to the Gospel in such a way that it is compromised by holding a contrary position. Things such as the Creation days, women in ecclesiastical office, padeobaptism vs. believer’s baptism, etc. However, even these issues can spill over into the “critical stage” where depending on some of the supporting doctrines one might have the Gospel can actually be compromised.

Frankly, I wish more people would be willing to discuss matters especially related to Theology. I learn more in discussions defending my position than I do sitting in a class! Having to reason through an argument and having people question your beliefs is an amazing tool for becoming more familiar with Scripture as well as a deeper appreciation for God and what he did to redeem for himself a people through the life, death, resurrection, and ascension of our Lord Jesus Christ!!

It was good to hear from you!

11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home