Monday, October 08, 2007

Come on Joel!

So I am a glutton for punishment. I signed up earlier this week to receive the "Today's Word with Joel and Victoria [Osteen]". I knew I would get frustrated, and I held my tongue for awhile...

Here is Friday, October 5's devotional:

Pleasant Words

Today's Scripture


“Pleasant words are as honeycomb, sweet to the mind and healing to the body” (Proverbs 16:24).

Today's Word from Joel and Victoria


Do you look for good things to say about yourself and others? Are you speaking pleasant words? The Bible tells us that pleasant words are healing to the body. Do you need healing in your body—physically? Spiritually? Emotionally? Your words can bring that healing. Start speaking pleasant words—words of life, encouragement, and thanksgiving. Guard your heart by making sure you are only listening to pleasant, life-giving words. If there’s something on the TV or radio that isn’t bringing life to your soul, turn it off. If someone’s having a conversation that’s not uplifting or productive, don’t be a part of it.

Choose to meditate on God’s Word which, according to Hebrews, is living and active and full of pleasant words.

As you choose life by choosing life-giving words, you’ll see God’s healing operating in your life. You’ll feel strength and peace in your soul, and you will move forward into the abundant life God has in store for you! (emphasis mine)
COME ON!!! That is not what Hebrews 4:12 says! If you are going to quote something (especially the Bible) then at least get it right! Here is what Hebrews 4:12 actually says (ESV translation), "For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart." How in the world does that become "full of pleasant words?" Those are anything but "pleasant words." For one who does not believe in the Gospel, those words are utterly damning, and even for believers those words strike at our heart and cause us to turn once again to Christ who is our righteousness.

I could continue, but I better not else I say some UNpleasant words.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Wow...you're made of tougher stuff than I...it's good to keep up on what the rest of the evangelical world is up to, but I don't think I could stomach a daily dose of Osteen. Kudos.

10:31 PM  
Blogger Tracy Lee V said...

Sheesh. That guy is a trip. Also, I think you should separate the words "Joel Osteen" and "Evangelicalism". In my humble Evangelical opinion, they're not necessarily connected... but really, who am I to judge?
(Also, curious re: the delay in your response to my email. C'est la vie.)

6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home