Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Whisper part of the Gospel?

The Christian Reformed Church in North America recently had their annual Synod and their communications department sent out a list of "quotable quotes" heard during Synod 1008. The link to this list is here.

One of the quotes that jumped out at me was given by none other than the President of Calvin Theologial Seminary, Neil Plantinga. Here is his quote:

"The church today is so much more diverse in old and new ways that no single recipe can possibly feed everybody. The minister who attempts to force a ministry style into an alien context will only frustrate, baffle or amuse God’s people. Healthy pastors figure out the local culture—urban or rural, elder- or youth-based, immigrant or settled. Wise pastors will exclaim one part of the gospel, and whisper another. (emphasis added)"
Overall I kind of disagree with him on many parts of this quote, however, I understand to some level what he is getting at. My major overall concern or caution with this statement is how much the local culture is to drive the Sunday morning divine service (or ministry style as Dr. Plantinga puts it). There is a point at which a pastor needs to be sensitive to that, but at the core there are theological reasons why certain things are done the way they are in legitimate Reformed worship. This is something that has fallen off the radar in many CRC circles (and other Reformed bodies) where cultural trends drive things and not theology.

However, the part of the quote that got me moved to blog was the part that I emphasized. I really want to know two things: 1) How can the Gospel be broken up? and 2) which part is able to be whispered? The Gospel is a single message concerning God's redeeming for himself a people through the life, death, and resurrection of Christ. Which part of that is not applicable to every man, women, and child regardless of race, culture, age, etc.? The biggest problem I have with Evangelicalism from my limited exploration and understanding is that they think the Gospel message needs to be changed and adapted depending on the particular needs of the congregation - felt needs not Christ is then preached. This, then, removes the Gospel from its Scriptural roots and makes it something totally foreign to Scripture. This I feel, sadly, is where the CRC is taking its cues and it has gone all the way to the top - the President of its Seminary.

Sure you can present things differently depending on who you are talking to (if nothing is compromised theologially) as Paul did on Mars Hill, but the core message is always the same. Actually Acts 17 and Paul on Mars Hill is a perfect example of doing exactly the opposite to what Dr. Plantinga is advocating. Paul is talking to pagan Athenians and in verse 31 Paul tells them about the resurrection of Christ, knowing full well what the result will be to these pagans. Verse 32 then gives the result - some of them mocked Paul. Now was Paul not wise because he did not whisper "part" of of the Gospel and that he was mocked for it? That was definitely an "alien context" and Paul "frustrated, baffled, and amused" those people, but Paul did not sink down to the level of his hearers and tell them only that which would please their ears. Paul does not say in 1 Corinthians, "the Gospel is a stumbling block to the Jews and foolishness to the Greeks, therefore, if needed I emphasize only those parts that my audience would agree with and feel comfortable with." NO!! The Gospel is a particular message that all people need to hear in all its beauty! If we change that message (or whisper parts of it) then we are not trusting in the Holy Spirit that he is the one who will make hard hearts soft and make people receptive to the Gospel and create in them true faith that trusts that Christ died for them too and was raised for their justification. It is a preacher's job and duty to just proclaim that message faithfully and trust in God to do the rest.

I know this blog is read by only a handful of people, but if one of you actually knows Dr. Plantinga I would love to get his take on what I wrote, because I am sure there is more to his quote than what was given and I would hope he can clarify what he means by "whispering another [part of the Gospel]."

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger steve said...

Hi Mark,

Thought I'd return the favor and stop by your house for some some chips.

I don't know Plantinga, but he has filled our pulpit at various times. I can't say I have ever really followed much of what he says. Nice voice though.

To be honest, I am a big fan of intutition and I say your gut is right to be suspect. I don't think there is much to figure out here beyond a smart man's way of doing broad evangelicalism. I like to think I spent enough time there to know when something is just a Reformed version of it.

My hunch, if you will, is that he and Stan Mast (LaGrave CRC downtown GR) are in the same boat. Mast just wants to do Willow Creek for the upwardly mobile. When I pointed that out Randy Blacketer (one of the CRCs last confessionalists) I was told I was seriously misguided about Mast. Evidently, that was because I "didn't know Stan the way he does." That's true, but last I checked, what is written and said is how Reformed evaluate things, not being able to peek inwardly--that's the Pentecostals. Plus, that's pretty much what Mast says in his own words.

Anyway, read Mast for yourself. I think he and Plantinga want to "figure out the local culture" the way Hybels (former CRCer himself) does. One wants those with raised pinkies, the other that part of culture that likes to read a lot.


http://www.thebanner.org/magazine/article.cfm?article_id=578

1:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark,

Here's his direct number:

http://www.calvinseminary.edu/aboutUs/facultyStaff/sempres.php

Give it a shot!

6:26 PM  
Blogger Mark Vander Pol said...

Thanks for the comments Steve. I will have to check out Mast for another spin on this. I forgot about Hybels being formerly CRC. That connection is interesting because I just started reading the CRC's "Ministries Priorities Committee Report, Phase III" and there is one paragraph in the "Vision for heathly churches" section where in the margin I wrote, "as long as they are not making people 'self-feeders'" in the vein of Willow Creek's new philosophy. I haven't finished the document so I haven't seen if that is something of what is being thought of.

This could be a very interesting report because it outlines what the CRC thinks a healthy church looks like and is supposed to guide all the CRC congregations and ministries.

7:15 AM  
Blogger Mark Vander Pol said...

Jason -

Thanks for the link. I don't think I will call him, but I did send him an e-mail this morning and I got a response back already!! The reponse said that Dr. Plantinga will be back in the office on July 8 and will return the e-mail then! :-)

7:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home