Tuesday, October 14, 2008

I don't need no theology...

This week's White Horse Inn broadcast is entitled "Getting Stupid." Quite the title! I was actually kind of worried that we (I work for WHI) would be getting some negative comments about this program, but all I have seen so far has been positive. The show is definitely one that all should listen to as it makes the case that there is an intellectual element to the Christian Faith. We have to work at learning the vocabulary, the ideas, the concepts, everything!!

One of the main reasons I am in seminary right now is because when I started to dig into theology with some friends of mine, I saw my love for God, the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, grow and grow as I learned more and more about who God was and my relationship to him. I am confident that this experience is something that will happen to everybody if they only allow it to happen! Not that everybody will end up going to seminary to pursue a formal theological education, but I sincerely believe that the more that people dig into theology, and I mean work at it, they will see it as part of their sanctification which will grow and deepen.

Of course there are differing levels in which this can be done depending on the person, but again I think that we need to be challenged. You don't grow by staying at the same level all the time, you have to push yourself. I can give some recommendations for a variety of "levels" (just ask me in the comments section), but overall I would say start with your church's Confessional standards. Read and study these if it has been a while. These are not "systematic theologies" but formulations and summaries of what the Bible teaches on a variety of theological loci (subjects). If your church doesn't have "official" Confessional standards (not a good thing in my opinion, but that is a topic for another blog!) then I could suggest looking at the Confessions of the Continental Reformed Tradition which are commonly called the "Three Forms of Unity" which contain The Belgic Confession of Faith (1561), The Heidelberg Catechism (1563) and The Canons of Dort (1618-1619). They can be viewed here.

I teach with a co-intern at my church the 7th and 8th grade catechism class. Last year we went through and studied the entire Belgic Confession - yes, 7th and 8th graders and we talked about a lot of theological stuff. And you know what? They understood it and were able to discuss it!! We even taught them these kind of words: eschatology, soteriology, hypostatic union, pneumatology; along with the basic words of redemption, justification, sanctification, etc.

So my plea is for all the handful of people that read this blog that you not become another "statistic" of those who are getting stupid in the matters of the Christian faith. Make a conscience effort to apply yourself in learning the great truths of Scripture in some manner that challenges you to use that wonderful brain that God has given you! There are so many resources available today that can help. Of course I am biased towards historic/orthodox Reformed material (it is the only truly Biblical material!) and that is what I would encourage you to read so that not only are you studying theology, but studying correct theology!! I am saying that sort of tongue-in-cheek, but ultimately not really!

So with that said, go over to the White Horse Inn and listen to the program "Getting Stupid" and let's discuss!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home