Saturday, September 27, 2008

Classical Moment - Gustav Mahler

I have always been a nerd on many different levels. One of those level is my love of classical music. I have always liked orchestral music, not so much organ or chamber music (unless they are really good), but big full symphonies. One of my favorites for a long time was Beethoven's Sixth Symphony entitles "Pastorale." A few years ago (maybe 2003 or 2004) Michelle and I went to hear the Chicago Symphony Orchestra play this work. When I ordered the tickets the lady on the phone was telling me about the other works that were on that evening's program. One of the pieces was by a guy named Gustav Mahler whom I had never heard of before.

So we went to the performance and had a great time, however, that evening changed my classical music life! I fell in love with Gustav Mahler. The CSO played his First Symphony entitled "Titan" and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Before leaving the Symphony Center for the evening I purchased a recording of Mahler's First Symphony and have since acquired all of his 9.5 symphonies and my love and appreciation for his music has grown. (The reason there is a half symphony is because he died during his writing of his Tenth Symphony). Besides the First, Michelle and I have also heard a performance of Mahler's Third Symphony (the longest symphony ever written by anybody!) by the San Diego Symphony, and I am hoping to hear the Sixth this winter in San Diego.

Overall Mahler's music is not that widely known, however, that is changing rapidly and more and more orchestras are adding it to their repertoires. The reason I love Mahler's symphonies is because overall they are (in my opinion) weighted towards the brass section. I love the strings, but give me a robust brass anytime! The sounds are huge and powerful.

One thing that I have been thinking about doing for a long time is to "review" Mahler's Symphonies here on my blog. I am not a music scholar by any stretch of the imagination, which I hope might actually make this somewhat interesting for people to read? Probably not, but I can try!!

With that said, look for these "reviews" to show up in the next few weeks. I might give a brief bio of Gustav as well. So if you are ever looking for a new piece of classical music to buy, take a look at Mahler, you won't be disappointed!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home