Saturday, October 25, 2008

I want to be there

As many of you may know one of my passions is to do things outdoors - hiking, camping, backpacking, and photography. One of the reasons why I love Southern Calfornia and San Diego is there are many possibilities to do these activities within very short distances. Even though I love this area and the many different ecosystems that there are here, there are still many places I would love to be. There are two places in particular - Yellowstone and Glacier National Parks. If you have never been to either of these places then you have to do so sometime in your life. Both of these places have webcams that I frequently look at to drive myself crazy wishing I could be there! This morning was probably the worst time I have had doing this exercise in a while. Let me explain...

Yellowstone National Park
Yellowstone is America's oldest National Park and contains some of the most unique ecosystems in the world. I have been to Yellowstone on I think three occastions, the last of which was with Michelle (her first time). Because Michelle had never been there we went on a whirlwind tour. In such a large place having so much to see, we breezed through there in a day and a half. We had to see all the popular sites because Michelle had never seen them before. It was in the beginning of August, and therefore was quite busy with tourists. Overall that wasn't really a problem and we were able to see everything we wanted to see. On the one full day that we were there the weather shifted very rapidly from shorts and t-shirts to snowing (first week in August)!! The next morning we had ice in our water bottles at our campsite! I could keep going on and on about this place, but both Michelle and I had an amazing time and have been talking about going back ever since.

So this morning I was looking at the webcam that looks at the Old Faithful geyser. It was just after 9:00 in the morning there and the viewing area was completely empty and the gesyer was "scheduled" to erupt within a couple of minutes. If it was the summer months, the viewing area would already have a lot of people. Well, Old Faithful began to erupt and two people showed up to watch. That is it!! I want to be there sooooooo bad!! Here is the photo:

Glacier National Park
My family went to Glacier in the mid 90s and I have been dying to get back there ever since. Such a beautiful place. The national park has a great collection of webcams that I love looking at. They are set up with very beautiful scenery in their view. Here is a capture from this morning looking at Lake McDonald:

There are a lot of webcams out there in many beautiful places. Here is the link to many of the NPS webcams. Enjoy!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Mark that is really cool...I (Michele) had no idea that there were webcams at those parks! Thanks for sharing.

4:24 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

GORGEOUS!! That's how I feel about Hawaii... I am overwhelmed by the beauty every time I'm there (which isn't nearly often enough, considering that I've only been 4 times)!

12:54 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Were you on that trip with me that Faith Expression took there? I love it!! Nothing like Yellowstone.

6:56 PM  
Blogger Mark Vander Pol said...

Hey Rachel -

Yes, I was on that F.E. trip. I think I even have photos floating around someplace. Good times!

I just realized I haven't updated my blog in a really, really long time. Might have to do that sometime soon.

8:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home